Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Utena Tourism Information Center

Tauragnai St. George's Church


The first church (built in 1387) was one of seven churches dedicated to the baptism of Aukštaitija in Northern Lithuania. It stood 4 km from the current town, at the foot of Tauragnai mound. Later the church was moved to the lakes of Tauragn and Labe. There were 4 or 5 churches in this place, but they all burned down. 1874 A new church emerged, but in 1944 it burned down the fired German war planes. The present Tauragnai church was built in 1969.